Wayland Little League Coach extraordinaire Eddie Bumstead leading from the front.
Wayland Little League is an all-volunteer, "parent powered" organization who rely on as many parents and guardians like you getting involved in anyway they can.
We ask and encourage for you to get involved, especially with coaching, without coaching and volunteers there would be no season, so please consider participating in any way you can.
We are currently planning for the upcoming season and need your assistance as we are in the process of setting up the leagues, coaches and key positions.
Head Coaches: We are always looking for parents to help with the program – particularly with the younger grades. If you have played baseball in High School and/or College and would be interested in coaching please reach out and let us know!
The head coach is responsible for:
- Practice scheduling and practice plans
- Game schedules / rearranging games etc.
- Creating team line-ups.
- Managing the game,
- Communicating with the other teams head coach
- Communicating with the umpire staff.
Assistant Coaches: Assists the head coach with practices and games. Takes on the duties of the head coach in his/her absence. Assistant coaches will help with things such as:
- Assisting the team coach.
- Assisting with or running team practices
- Bench Coach - keeping the batting line up moving or helping the catcher on with their equipment.
- Base Coach during a game.
- Score Keeper
- Pitch Counter
Team Managers: We looking to have one parent manager for each team. Team Managers are generally are responsible for all team administration / email communication relative to practices and games etc. Other responsibilities would include assisting with transportation and other team requirements not directly linked with playing.
Additionally the manager will help coordinate raffle sales for their team and help coordinate any team specific events.
Team Scorekeeper: Responsible keeping score with the official score book and reporting scores for each game.
How to register as a coach. To volunteer as a coach you should:
- Indicate your intention to do so by filling out the appropriate fields when registering your child to a baseball or softball program.
- Complete the coach registration and background check* form for the season.
(Once the coach registration for a particular season is open you will be notified.)
- Successfully complete the obligatory concussion training course.
- Receive notification of the results of the required background checks.
* In accordance with Massachusetts state law and Little League Regulations, All coaches and managers must register to be assigned to a team. If you want to participate with your child's team you must successfully complete the WLL registration / background check process.